Alligators 'n Roadkill

Alligators 'n Roadkill
On The Road

Followers

Friday, May 13, 2016

Cogito, ergo sum.



Stop going on about how when you die, "Poof!  You'll be gone." 

I guess my expressed opinions and beliefs have attracted a number of atheists as my Facebook friends.  That's OK.  We do still live in a free country, despite what certain GOP asshats would have us believe.  But, one thing that troubles me about atheists is this.  They seem as desperate to defend their position as a dedicated evangelical is to convert others to their belief system.  Proselytizing is still proselytizing, you know.

One of the positions that these people take is that anyone who believes in a heaven, or any kind of afterlife, is being extremely self-centered, or egocentric.  They try to say that once you're dead, you're gone.  Poof!  Some of them go on about how you will be absorbed into the greater universe or some such crap.  But, essentially, they want to dissuade you from believing in anything after this life.

Here's the thing.  I am self aware.  I am indeed very egocentric, because I have been aware of myself and everything in my world has always been seen from MY perspective, and I really do not see how any of us can expect that to change.  I have to quote Spock on this, and say that any idea where my ego, my "self," ceases to exist, on some level, after death is just illogical.  What the hell is the point of making me self aware if that "self" is going to just end?  Not logical at all.

So, if it is all the same to you, I'll stick with Descarte on this issue.  "Je pense, donc je suis."

No comments:

Post a Comment